Connect with us

World News

Ukraine asks UN to investigate alleged Russian war crimes – JURIST

Published

on

Ukraine’s ambassador to the UN, Yevheniia Filipenko, on Monday called for an investigation into alleged war crimes perpetrated by Russia as its invasion of Ukraine unfolds. Filipenko said: “The Russian forces’ attempt to sow panic among the population by specifically targeting kindergartens and orphanages, hospitals and mobile medical aid brigades, thus committing acts that may amount to war crimes.” The UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) also voted early Monday to hold an emergency debate on Russia’s military actions on Thursday. Filipenko informed the UNHRC that, according to the Ukrainian Ministry of Health, 352 Ukrainians have died during the invasion. This figure includes 16 children and another 160 children were injured. According to Reuters, Ukraine will present a draft resolution during the debate. If the resolution is accepted, “a commission of three independent experts would investigate all alleged violations of international law in Crimea and the Donetsk and Luhansk regions since 2014 and in other areas of Ukraine since Russia’s invasion last week.” The HRC will hold informal consultations on the draft resolution on Wednesday. The UN defines war crimes according to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court. The definition of the statute includes “[i]Intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population as such or against individual civilians not taking a direct part in hostilities” The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported “at least 240 civilian casualties, including at least 64 deaths” to the 26 of February. Additionally, damage to infrastructure has forced the internal displacement of at least 160,000 people and caused at least 116,000 people to flee across an international border. The report estimates that Russia’s invasion could generate 5 million refugees in the “worst case scenario.” Several specific attacks have sparked allegations of hot crime. In one case, Amnesty International accused Russian forces of using cluster munitions during a February 25 attack on a preschool in Okhtyrka, a city in northeastern Ukraine. Three civilians were killed in the attack, including a child. Another child was injured. Amnesty International Secretary General Agnès Callamard said: “[T]there is no possible justification for dumping cluster munitions in populated areas, let alone near a school”, and the attack “shows a blatant disregard for civilian life”. Nearly 100 nations joined the 2008 Convention on Cluster Munitions. However, Ukraine and Russia have not joined the treaty. According to the International Committee of the Red Cross, cluster munitions consist of a container containing “a large number of explosive submunitions”. The submunitions cannot be guided to a specific target and therefore “pose a significant danger to civilians”. Telegram message. He noted that Kharkiv does not host any “critical infrastructure” that could justify a strategic attack. At the time of his message, Synehubov reported 11 civilian deaths and dozens wounded. Alexander S. Vindman, former director of European affairs at the US National Security Council, commented on the Kharkiv attacks, saying Russia “will increasingly resort to the tactics employed in its other recent conflicts and the human cost will be terrible.” Vindman, who was born in present-day Kiev, called the citizens of Kharkiv “irreplaceable.” The UN Security Council (UNSC) also held an emergency session on Russia and Ukraine on Monday.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

World News

Trump Affiliated Businessman Sentenced to 20 Months in Prison for Political Donation Crimes – JURIST

Published

on

The Justice Department said Wednesday that Lev Parnas, a businessman involved in the Trump-Ukraine affair, was sentenced to 20 months in prison on multiple counts related to soliciting donations from a foreign national. Parnas was convicted on charges of “conspiring to make political contributions of a foreign national in conjunction with soliciting and aiding and abetting the making thereof, conspiracy to make fictitious donations, participation in a wire fraud conspiracy, and making false statements and falsifying records. Parnas will also pay more than $2 million in restitution. The charges of making political contributions by a foreign national stem from events that occurred in March 2018. Parnas and other associates wanted to launch a business to obtain retail marijuana licenses in the US. The group turned over hundreds of thousands of dollars in political contributions before the 2018 election to curry favor with anyone who could help Parnas and his associates obtain these licenses. Parnas and an associate made a donation of $325,000 and falsely claimed that the donation was from Global Power Producers (GEP). Parnas also lied about the fact that he was receiving bogus donations and the contributions were not his own money. The fraud guarantee charges are from between 2012 and 2019. Parnas planned to defraud several people by convincing them to invest in his company. He said the contributions would be used solely for his business. Instead, the payments were withdrawn in cash, placed in personal bank accounts, and used for personal expenses. Damian Williams, US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, stated: “Parnas also defrauded the American public by pumping Russian money into US elections and lying about the origin of funds for political contributions. My office will continue to aggressively prosecute those who put their personal and financial benefit above their country and their investors.” The office’s Public Corruption Unit is handling the Parnas case.

Continue Reading

World News

Indonesian parliament passes law to create more provinces in Papua amid fears of government crackdown – JURIST

Published

on

The Indonesian People’s Representative Council on Thursday approved legislation to establish three new provinces in the Papua region. The decision was made during the 26th plenary session when all members unanimously agreed to pass three bills that established the new provinces. Currently, the easternmost region of Indonesia is divided into two regions, Papua and West Papua. However, it will now be divided into five provinces. The three new provinces have been named, South Papua Province with Merauke as its capital, Central Papua Province with Nabire as its capital, and Papua Mountains Province with Jaya wijaya as its capital. Ahmad Doli Kurnia Tandjung, Chairperson of the Council Commission, stated that: The purpose of partitioning Papua is to speed up equitable development, speed up the improvement of public services, speed up community welfare and uplift the dignity of the indigenous people of Papua. Papua. Taking into account political, administrative and legal aspects, socio-cultural unity, human resource preparation, basic infrastructure, economic capacity, future developments and aspirations of the Papuan people. Veronica Koman of Amnesty International Australia expressed concern about how the legislation would affect Papuans. She said that by “cutting and dividing Papua into smaller administrative units, [the Indonesian government] hopes to divide and conquer Papuan identity and resistance.”

Continue Reading

World News

German court sentences 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard to 5 years in prison – JURIST

Published

on

Germany’s Neuruppin Regional Court in Brandenburg on Tuesday convicted a 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard of 3,518 counts of accessory to murder and sentenced him to five years in prison. Former SS guard Josef Schuetz was indicted for his involvement in the “execution by firing squad of Soviet prisoners of war in 1942” and for operating the gas chambers at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. Josef denied all the alleged charges and claimed that he worked as a farm laborer near Pasewalk in northeast Germany. However, the court began the trial last year in October. Judge Udo Lechtermann noted that the defendant “voluntarily supported mass extermination” in his role. He further said: The court is satisfied that you worked as a guard in the concentration camp for about three years, despite your claims to the contrary. You saw how deported people were cruelly tortured and killed there every day for three years. Sachsenhausen saw 200,000 people imprisoned, with at least 30,000 deaths. Joseph is considered the oldest person to be convicted of Holocaust crimes. Previously, a 93-year-old former guard was convicted of 5,232 murders and a 95-year-old former field secretary was charged with 10,000 counts of accessory to murder, rulings pending. Joseph can appeal his sentence to the Federal Court of Justice within a week.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022