Connect with us

World News

New Hampshire Supreme Court Approves New Redistricting Plan – JURIST

Published

on

The New Hampshire Supreme Court on Tuesday approved a plan to redraw New Hampshire’s congressional districts. The approved redistricting plan uses the “least change” approach, meaning that only five cities will change their electoral districts. Theresa Norelli, former Speaker of the New Hampshire House of Representatives, filed a lawsuit alleging that the current map of Congress violates the New Hampshire Constitution. Norelli also argued that the current map “incorrectly distributed” New Hampshire’s population. The lawsuit was filed in response to New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu vetoing two earlier plans to redraw congressional lines to spread the voting population more evenly across districts. Because lawmakers and the governor couldn’t compromise on how to redraw the district, the court assigned Nathaniel Persily, a Stanford law professor, to redraw the map. In his report, filed last week, Persily said he was “directed to modify existing congressional district lines ‘only to the extent required to comply with the [court’s] criteria and standards of ‘minimum change’”. John Devaney, the plaintiffs’ attorney, urged the Court to adopt Persily’s map on Tuesday. He argued that he would avoid any confusion as the nomination period would open on Wednesday. Shortly after arguments concluded, the Court issued a unanimous order implementing the map Persily created. Kelly Burton, chairwoman of the National Democratic Redistricting Committee (NDRC), called the decision a “victory for voters.” Burton said, The New Hampshire Supreme Court map is a victory for New Hampshire voters, who will be able to vote in fair constituencies in this year’s election. Throughout the redistricting process, Republicans on the New Hampshire General Court arrogantly approved one partisan gerrymander after another, only to be stopped by Governor Sununu’s veto. The map adopted today by the New Hampshire Supreme Court is not only a clear rejection of this blatant attempt at political manipulation, it is a victory for New Hampshire voters who did not stop fighting for fair maps. The New Hampshire cities of Jackson, Albany, Sandwich, Campton and New Hampton are now part of New Hampshire’s 2nd congressional district for the upcoming Fall 2022 election

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

World News

German court sentences 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard to 5 years in prison – JURIST

Published

on

Germany’s Neuruppin Regional Court in Brandenburg on Tuesday convicted a 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard of 3,518 counts of accessory to murder and sentenced him to five years in prison. Former SS guard Josef Schuetz was indicted for his involvement in the “execution by firing squad of Soviet prisoners of war in 1942” and for operating the gas chambers at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. Josef denied all the alleged charges and claimed that he worked as a farm laborer near Pasewalk in northeast Germany. However, the court began the trial last year in October. Judge Udo Lechtermann noted that the defendant “voluntarily supported mass extermination” in his role. He further said: The court is satisfied that you worked as a guard in the concentration camp for about three years, despite your claims to the contrary. You saw how deported people were cruelly tortured and killed there every day for three years. Sachsenhausen saw 200,000 people imprisoned, with at least 30,000 deaths. Joseph is considered the oldest person to be convicted of Holocaust crimes. Previously, a 93-year-old former guard was convicted of 5,232 murders and a 95-year-old former field secretary was charged with 10,000 counts of accessory to murder, rulings pending. Joseph can appeal his sentence to the Federal Court of Justice within a week.

Continue Reading

World News

UN Fact Finding Mission reports serious human rights violations in Libya – JURIST

Published

on

The UN Independent Fact Finding Mission (IFFM) on Libya reported Wednesday that Libyan authorities have committed crimes against humanity, war crimes and serious human rights violations under international law. The FFM was formed in June 2020 to document human rights violations in Libya and to ensure that those responsible are held accountable. FFM conducted 103 interviews with victims and witnesses during its investigation. FFM documented 27 places of detention in the eastern and western parts of Libya and reported that migrants were subjected to the “systematic use of prolonged arbitrary detention”, including the detention of thousands of migrants in secret and extra-legal prisons. The report highlights the atrocities of women facing sexual violence by human smugglers and smugglers for extorting money from their families and documents more cases of rape in places of detention or captivity in which migrant women are forced to have sex. to survive, in exchange for food or other essential goods. articles.FFM with the use of UNOSAT satellite image-based analysis documented the atrocities during the reign of the Al-Kaniyat militia in Tarhuna, Tripolitania region, and reported the discovery of new uncovered mass graves.Mohammad Aujjar, president of the FFM He said: The mission calls on the international community to support the relevant Libyan authorities in conducting prompt investigations, in accordance with international standards, into the alleged violations and bringing those responsible to justice. The goal is to end the prevailing impunity in the face of clear and persistent patterns of serious human rights violations, in many cases perpetrated by militia groups… Now more than ever, the Libyan people need a strong commitment to help bring peace and justice to his country, and establish a state based on the rule of law and human rights. The FFM published its first report on Libya in October 2022, and then published a follow-up report in March 2022.

Continue Reading

World News

Two more charged for the death of 53 migrants in Texas – JURIST

Published

on

US authorities on Wednesday charged two additional suspects in the deaths of several dozen immigrants whose bodies were discovered in a truck in San Antonio, Texas, on Monday. These latest charges are in addition to charges filed Tuesday against two men suspected of involvement in the incident. The San Antonio Police Department discovered a truck carrying about 100 immigrants across the border on Monday. Piles of bodies were found inside the truck with the remaining victims collapsed next to it. In total, 39 men and 12 women died in the incident. Charges were filed Wednesday against the alleged truck driver, Homero Zamorano, as well as an alleged co-conspirator, Christian Martinez. Zamorano was charged with one count of alien smuggling resulting in death, while Martinez was charged with a single count of conspiracy to transport illegal immigrants. Given the incident’s status as the deadliest migrant smuggling incident on record in the United States, the US Department of Justice announced that if the defendants are convicted, they will face life in prison or capital punishment. Due to the incident, Republican Texas Governor Greg Abbott told reporters at a Wednesday news conference that the state will immediately begin additional truck checkpoints like the one found in San Antonio to prevent a recurrence. a similar tragedy.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022