Connect with us

World News

Court of The Hague rejects claim of widow of ‘Ogoni Nine’ against Shell – JURISTA

Published

on

The Hague District Court on Wednesday rejected a lawsuit brought by four Nigerian widows against oil giant Shell for allegedly aiding corrupt witnesses who testified against their late husbands, who were executed in 1995 by the Nigerian government following protests against the exploitation of the Niger delta by Shell. In 1995, former military ruler Sani Abacha executed Esther Kiobel’s husbands, Victoria Bera, Blessing Eawo and Charity Levula, along with five other protesters. The nine activists are known as the Ogoni Nine and include writer Ken Saro-Wiwa, Paul Levera, Felix Nuate, Nordu Eawo, Daniel Gbooko, Baribor Bera, Barinem Kiobel, John Kpuine, and Saturday Dobee. Their deaths came as the Nigerian government brutally suppressed peaceful protests by Ogoni people who opposed the oil giant’s exploitation of oil resources and land destruction in Ogoniland. The four widows sued Shell over the company’s alleged involvement in the arrest, detention and prosecution. and execution of their husbands. They tried to hold Shell accountable in The Hague after exhausting legal possibilities in Nigeria, after the Dutch court ruled it had jurisdiction to hear their case in 2019. Five witnesses testified in court. Some claimed that they had been trained to frame defendants and had been paid in return by Shell representatives. However, the Dutch court ruled that there was insufficient evidence to support the widow’s accusations that Shell was involved in bribing witnesses related to her husband’s case. Therefore, the court ruled that Shell could not be held liable. Shell has denied any wrongdoing or involvement. In 2009, a $15.5 million settlement was reached between Shell and the families of the nine activists who were executed. In 2010, the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit upheld a verdict in favor of Shell in a case brought by the families of the nine activists, on the grounds that the Foreign Tort Claims Act did not apply to the corporations.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

World News

Trump Affiliated Businessman Sentenced to 20 Months in Prison for Political Donation Crimes – JURIST

Published

on

The Justice Department said Wednesday that Lev Parnas, a businessman involved in the Trump-Ukraine affair, was sentenced to 20 months in prison on multiple counts related to soliciting donations from a foreign national. Parnas was convicted on charges of “conspiring to make political contributions of a foreign national in conjunction with soliciting and aiding and abetting the making thereof, conspiracy to make fictitious donations, participation in a wire fraud conspiracy, and making false statements and falsifying records. Parnas will also pay more than $2 million in restitution. The charges of making political contributions by a foreign national stem from events that occurred in March 2018. Parnas and other associates wanted to launch a business to obtain retail marijuana licenses in the US. The group turned over hundreds of thousands of dollars in political contributions before the 2018 election to curry favor with anyone who could help Parnas and his associates obtain these licenses. Parnas and an associate made a donation of $325,000 and falsely claimed that the donation was from Global Power Producers (GEP). Parnas also lied about the fact that he was receiving bogus donations and the contributions were not his own money. The fraud guarantee charges are from between 2012 and 2019. Parnas planned to defraud several people by convincing them to invest in his company. He said the contributions would be used solely for his business. Instead, the payments were withdrawn in cash, placed in personal bank accounts, and used for personal expenses. Damian Williams, US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, stated: “Parnas also defrauded the American public by pumping Russian money into US elections and lying about the origin of funds for political contributions. My office will continue to aggressively prosecute those who put their personal and financial benefit above their country and their investors.” The office’s Public Corruption Unit is handling the Parnas case.

Continue Reading

World News

Indonesian parliament passes law to create more provinces in Papua amid fears of government crackdown – JURIST

Published

on

The Indonesian People’s Representative Council on Thursday approved legislation to establish three new provinces in the Papua region. The decision was made during the 26th plenary session when all members unanimously agreed to pass three bills that established the new provinces. Currently, the easternmost region of Indonesia is divided into two regions, Papua and West Papua. However, it will now be divided into five provinces. The three new provinces have been named, South Papua Province with Merauke as its capital, Central Papua Province with Nabire as its capital, and Papua Mountains Province with Jaya wijaya as its capital. Ahmad Doli Kurnia Tandjung, Chairperson of the Council Commission, stated that: The purpose of partitioning Papua is to speed up equitable development, speed up the improvement of public services, speed up community welfare and uplift the dignity of the indigenous people of Papua. Papua. Taking into account political, administrative and legal aspects, socio-cultural unity, human resource preparation, basic infrastructure, economic capacity, future developments and aspirations of the Papuan people. Veronica Koman of Amnesty International Australia expressed concern about how the legislation would affect Papuans. She said that by “cutting and dividing Papua into smaller administrative units, [the Indonesian government] hopes to divide and conquer Papuan identity and resistance.”

Continue Reading

World News

German court sentences 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard to 5 years in prison – JURIST

Published

on

Germany’s Neuruppin Regional Court in Brandenburg on Tuesday convicted a 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard of 3,518 counts of accessory to murder and sentenced him to five years in prison. Former SS guard Josef Schuetz was indicted for his involvement in the “execution by firing squad of Soviet prisoners of war in 1942” and for operating the gas chambers at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. Josef denied all the alleged charges and claimed that he worked as a farm laborer near Pasewalk in northeast Germany. However, the court began the trial last year in October. Judge Udo Lechtermann noted that the defendant “voluntarily supported mass extermination” in his role. He further said: The court is satisfied that you worked as a guard in the concentration camp for about three years, despite your claims to the contrary. You saw how deported people were cruelly tortured and killed there every day for three years. Sachsenhausen saw 200,000 people imprisoned, with at least 30,000 deaths. Joseph is considered the oldest person to be convicted of Holocaust crimes. Previously, a 93-year-old former guard was convicted of 5,232 murders and a 95-year-old former field secretary was charged with 10,000 counts of accessory to murder, rulings pending. Joseph can appeal his sentence to the Federal Court of Justice within a week.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022